Changing the nice() value of a r

vger!aglew at urbana.mcd.mot.com vger!aglew at urbana.mcd.mot.com
Sat Jan 28 06:20:57 AEST 1989

>To find out whether your apparent improvement is real you should measure
>the time needed to solve queries. Cursor response is deceiving.
>
>Paul.

Cursor response may be deceiving, but it sure can be satisfying.
May reduce user frustration level, even if queries take a bit
longer.

On a slightly different level, at last year's SIGMETRICS
Wisconsin's DeWitt explained how he was speeding up complex
queries. Somebody from the audience said "But complex queries
are only a miniscule part of your workload". DeWitt responded
that simple queries didn't need to be sped up any more...

I'm oversimplifying, but the point is that frequency of use
doesn't necessarily correspond to importance (and I'm sure that
somebody can turn this around wrt. cursors and queries).