AT&T 630 terminal - software ??

Ross Alexander rwa at auvax.uucp
Sun Jan 22 10:40:21 AEST 1989

In article <8744 at alice.UUCP>, debra at alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) writes:
} In article <5334 at pdn.UUCP> reggie at pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
[....]
} Well, clearly the 630 keyboard (both models), as well as the IBM "advanced"
} AT-keyboard and the many clones are designed for left-handed people only.
} You can have the mouse very close to your left hand, and that should be
} very convenient. (I think one wants to access the mouse more often than the
} coffeecup.) For right-handed people like me the numeric keypad and the cursor
} keypad have only one effect: they put the mouse farther away from the usable
} part of the keyboard.

I am left handed.  I am _very_, _very_ left handed, always have been,
& no apologies to anyone about it B-).  But, I always put the mouse on
the right and use it dextrally.  Why?  Because it demands only fairly
gross motor skills (pointing, and two to three buttons).  Whereas the
left hand, on any keyboard worthy of the name, is the hand that needs
good co-ordination.

I mean <CONTROL>, <SHIFT>, <TAB>, and <META> live on the left side
almost exclusively, right?  And any emacs-hack knows that those are
the most important keys on the keyboard, n'est ce' pas ?? Is Richard
Stallman left-handed :-) :-) ??

And so, on my 630, my VaxStation, my Sun, and my Atari-ST it's "mouse on
the right, left hand does the _clever_ stuff", such as META-SHIFT-< or
whatever.  And of course, my coffee cups live on the left side too (to
avoid swatting them with the mouse, since I never look at the mouse
when I'm using it...)

	Ross