sticky bit

T. William Wells bill at twwells.uucp
Thu Jan 12 16:28:57 AEST 1989

In article <1362 at mtunb.ATT.COM> jcm at mtunb.UUCP (was-John McMillan) writes:
: 2) In article <314 at twwells.uucp> Bill writes:
:       >Depends on the system. Mine will move stuff out of swap if it's not
:       >in use and the space is needed. Read the chmod(2) manual page to see
:       >what yours does.
:
:       Nice! How common is this?  What is your system?  Now
:       I've got to scurry through SVR3.2 sources, I suppose ;-{
:       'Don't recall the 3B1 being that considerate, however.

I don't know how common it is. SV3.0 from Microport. I should say that
I have inferred this by looking at various stats and by noticing
differences in startup times after my system has started and then
stopped swapping.  I haven't gone in with crash to see whether things
have really been moved out.

:       >I just did my editor, compiler, make, and ls.
:
:       All nice packages to be sure:  But with shared libraries,
:       LS is only 2 to 4 [4K] pages of TEXT.

Still, if you have a system like mine, which slows horribly when there
is any load on the disk, it makes a noticable difference when doing
directory listings. And I do a lot of directory listings.

---
Bill
{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill