Demand paged executables

David Goodenough dg at lakart.UUCP
Tue Jan 31 04:24:15 AEST 1989

There is doubtless a good reason for it, but why is it not possible to
unlink a demand paged program that is executing. I realise that
the system needs to keep the program text somewhere, but why can it not
do the same as is done with a normally open file: just remove the
directory entry, but hang on to the I-node and disk blocks until such
time as the process execl()'s or exit()'s. I am probably missing
something, but I don't see the difference between a d.p. executable
being used, and me opening a file and going

... seek(); read(); ... seek(); read(); ...

up and down it. So what's the scoop?
--
	dg at lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+