new 4.3BSD Unix Internals book

Glenn Weinberg glennw at nsc.nsc.com
Tue Jan 31 05:11:21 AEST 1989

In article <2248 at unmvax.unm.edu> mike at turing.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
>In article <362 at microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp at microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
>>    ISBN 0-201-06196-1
           ^ ^^^ ^^^^^ ^
           |  |    |   |
           +--------------- Language. (I think--this one I'm not sure about)

>International Standard Book Number.  Does anyone have any pointers to
>what the encoding is in these?

I don't remember the check algorithm off the top of my head.  Learned all
this junk back in a computer science course a long time ago, believe it
or not.

>>  005.4'3--dc19                                       88-22809
>>                                                          CIP
>
>"005.4'3--dc19" is the Dewey number for shelving.
>What is the "88-22809 CIP"?

The Library of Congress catalog number.  Format is just year-sequence
number.  Gives you an idea of how many books the LOC acquires in a year.
Don't know what exactly "CIP" stands for.

Glenn Weinberg					Email: glennw at nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor Corporation		Phone: (408) 721-8102
(My opinions are strictly my own, but you can borrow them if you want.)