Password security - Another idea

flint at gistdev.UUCP flint at gistdev.UUCP
Thu Jan 12 02:03:00 AEST 1989

I really don't see why the encrytion can't allow you to use longer phrases
as your password: When limited to 8 characters, you have to do weird things
to it (include punctuation, strange vowel combinations, etc.)  to make it
secure because if you just type in an 8 character English language word it
is too easy to crack it.  People can remember phrases just as easily as
words: if my password could be "The quick brown fox Jumped over the lazy
dog" I could type it quickly so onlookers couldn't match it, I could
remember it a lot easier than "qw12;Vwe", and with that length I could get
a secure result: all I have to remember is the phrase and one or two
quirks like that the J is capitalized.