followup to dumb question (or, VAX11-750 MIPS, but which MIP?)

Phil Kahn pkahn at meridian.ads.com
Wed Jan 11 07:43:49 AEST 1989

OK.  So the general conceensus is that a VAX11-750 is about .6
VAXMIPS.  A person noted that VAXMIPS are not equal to "regular" MIPS.
I was hoping to compare it (generally) to a SUN 4/260 which SUN rates
at 10 MIPS.  Doesn't that make the 4/260 about 16.7 times faster than
a 750? I understand the difficulty with these terms, but I want to
ballpark them right for a paper in order to place some algorithm
benchmarks we ran into perspective (i.e., when using a "modern" machine).

Thanks again,
phil...