Black hole file

Juergen Wagner gandalf at csli.STANFORD.EDU
Tue Jan 17 07:06:35 AEST 1989

In article <8776 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
>Sounds like you have a brain-damaged shell that treats "blackhole"
>as a name for /dev/null.

Hmmm... I doubt that's the case. If the file were realized as an internal
shell alias for /dev/null, you wouldn't get an inode number, and (what's
even more interesting), you wouldn't get the same inode number every time.
Since the original poster found out the inode number, I guess he has checked
that "blackhole" is not just a symbolic link to /dev/null, or another /dev/null
with the same device id. Also, the fact that you can re-create it makes the
story more suspicipous.

I think, one should try a few things:

[1] If the file is created on an NFS file system, try the same on the host
    exporting the file system.

[2] Delete "blackhole", create some other files, and re-create your black
    hole. Does any of the other files have the same black hole behavior?
    Is "blackhole" still one?

[3] Try another shell.

If you are running NFS, I suspect an NFS problem. On some occasions
(non-reproducible), I noticed that some files appear to have some empty blocks
in them (zero bytes), although they seem to be fine on the NFS server.

Good luck,
Juergen Wagner		   			gandalf at csli.stanford.edu
						 wagner at arisia.xerox.com