new 4.3BSD Unix Internals book

Michael I. Bushnell mike at turing.cs.unm.edu
Sat Jan 28 12:24:45 AEST 1989

In article <362 at microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp at microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
>p_sorensen at vaxa.uwa.oz wrote:

>Published 1989 by Addison-Wesley.  Here's the U.S. Library of Congress info:

>The Design and implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIS operating
>  system / by Samuel J. Leffler ... [et al].

That's the title, and author, with a typo.

>    p. cm

Hmm...what's this?  Anybody know?

>    Includes bibliographies and index.

Other info that goes on a catalog card.

>    ISBN 0-201-06196-1

International Standard Book Number.  Does anyone have any pointers to
what the encoding is in these?

>    1. UNIX (Computer operating system)  I. Leffler, Samuel J.

This is where the cards get filed.  A subject card goes under "UNIX
(Computer operating system), and a Title/Author card under "Leffler,
Samuel J.".  I think there should also be "II. Karels, Michael" and
another for the third author (who's name escapes me at the moment).
There should then be "IV. Title." to indicate that a Title/Author card
goes under the title.

>    [DNLM: p. cm.]

Here's that "p. cm." again.  What IS that?

>  QA76.76.063D474 1988

This is the library of congress number for shelving.

>  005.4'3--dc19                                       88-22809
>                                                          CIP

"005.4'3--dc19" is the Dewey number for shelving.
What is the "88-22809 CIP"?

>I don't understand most of it, but this is what appears in the front of the
>book, inconsistent title capitalisation, spacing, and all.  It should be
>enough to enable you to find it.

Hmmm...now you know what I know.  Does anyone have any pointers to the
meaning of all the stuff in this now-standard format?  It started
appearing regularly in books about 4 years ago.

Thanks.

  Michael I. Bushnell       \     This above all; to thine own self be true
         GIG!                \    And it must follow, as the night the day,
mike at turing.cs..unm.edu      /\   Thou canst not be false to any man.
  Hmmmm..............       /  \  Farewell:  my blessing season this in thee!