Password security (really VMS password encryption)

Bob Devine devine at cookie.dec.com
Fri Jan 6 14:20:00 AEST 1989

John Haugh writes:
> This reminds me - old VAX/VMS used CRC16 to encrypt their passwords.
> Which is about as multi-way as it gets ...  This would mean, if correct,
> that only 65,536 different passwords [...]

  No, the original VMS encryption algorithm was called "AUTODIN 2".
Essentially it hashed the password into a 32 bit quantity.  There
were a couple problems with it: 32 bits wasn't enough to prevent
several passwords generating the same hash value; and it was too fast.
A brute force attack would work.

  The current algorithm is called the "Purdy" algorithm.  It runs
about 100 times slower than the other plus it uses a 64 bit value.

Bob Devine