libraries

A. Lester Buck buck at siswat.UUCP
Mon Jan 16 03:19:09 AEST 1989

As quoted from <7 at minya.UUCP> by jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers):
+---------------
| As for the cost of all the extra directory searching:  Do you think
| that archives don't contain a directory, or that searching through
| them is free?  Why should one expect that the linker's search through
| an (unsorted) archive directory will be any faster than the kernel's?

When AIX 2.2 makes a new kernel, it bursts the lib0 and lib1 archives,
links, and deletes *.o.  Makes a boring modern art pattern as
the screen overflows with the link, then overflows again with the rm.
Other Sys VR2 kernel makefiles I have used don't do this.

Is this a common practice?  Is this an efficiency gain, or is there
some other reason for bursting the archives?

--
A. Lester Buck		...!uhnix1!moray!siswat!buck