Password Aging

Mike Waters waters at dover.uucp
Wed Jan 4 03:45:17 AEST 1989

In article <17986 at adm.BRL.MIL> VINCE%UCONNVM.BITNET at mitvma.mit.edu writes:
>Barry Shein writes:
>>We just did this, lessee, 100 character set, 8 chars, 100^8, assume
>>10,000 encryptions per second is a good upper bound (we'll take a
. . .

>But a 50 character set gives only 183 years, not 31,709, and if you really
>use only lower case letters plus a bit (30 chars) your 31,709 years
>becomes 2 years.

And if we use only easily remembered words it becomes as small as hours.
In another thread here the author figures about 200K words > 5 char. long.
Thats not very many to search if you can automate your search! Even using
10 words (50 char) gives a relatively small number.

I think the problem is real, but I don't have any better solutions.

--
Mike Waters    AA4MW/7                  *
Motorola CAD Group                      *    Witty remark goes *HERE*