sticky bit

James C. Benz jcbst3 at cisunx.UUCP
Sat Jan 7 04:22:30 AEST 1989

I am sorry if this has been covered before, or if the subject is boring, but
I don't have access to an archive that I know of, and I thought someone
might be kind enough to answer a question or two.  I am running a database
application with Informix on 3B2 computers (ATT SVR2) and I recently read
somewhere that setting the sticky bit on a program file will speed up
execution time.  (Actually, load time)  I am considering using this for
a couple of C programs that are heavily used on our system.  The programs
are about 100,000 bytes each, one is interactive and allows shell excape,
the other is a stand alone, non-interactive program using stdin and stdout.
I would like to know if :
1) this will really help speed things up
2) if there are any security problems or potential problems
3) is there a limit to how much can be stored in the swap space (of course!)
	and is there a way of increasing it if necessary
4) any other dangers like system crashes, lock up, etc you can think of

I follow this group pretty regularly, so posting here is OK, email too.

Thanks
Jim Benz
University of Pittsburgh