does anyone know this error ?

Hans Buurman hans at duttnph.UUCP
Fri Jan 27 21:02:45 AEST 1989

Yesterday our file server (Sun 4/280, Sun Os 4.0) stopped working. At
least, it was no longer possible to log in, or be logged in as a user.
It didn't respond to that.

However, clients were served as usual, all daemons ran normally and
remote shells to the server were executed normally. So:

rsh server ps -agux

showed me the processes running, etc. I was editing on the server, and could
continue on a client by killing the edit job, ftp-ing the /tmp files to the
client, and vi -r there.

We found nothing wrong with the server with ps,sps or top. Perfmeter gave
normal readings. However, after 30 minutes, the system crashed with:

Jan 26 16:53:21 duttnph vmunix: panic: chgstropts: can't allocate stroptions message

My idea is that the process that stopped the server didn't flush a buffer,
and the system crashed on that. If we knew what the buffer was for, we
might find out what went wrong.

We have had to reboot a number of workstations with the same symptoms
the last couple of days, so we are curious what's wrong. Can any of the
noble wizards give a hint ?

	Hans

Disclaimer: any opinions expressed above are my own.