Which minisupercomputer?

Dan Schlitt dan at ccnysci.UUCP
Thu Jan 26 08:24:47 AEST 1989

In article <1188 at ccnysci.UUCP> dan at ccnysci.UUCP (Dan Schlitt) writes:

That is me.  My mailbox has contained some helpful replies.  Thanks to
you all.  I do plan to put out a summary, but first I want to know if
folk have opinions about a couple of systems that have yet to be
mentioned.  Edited down my question was:

:
:We are not looking
:for a machine to take over our load of general purpose computing
:(e.g., replace our vax) nor are we looking for a workstation (graphic
:or otherwise).  What we need is some thing that will fly when doing
:numerical computation and simulations etc.
:
:We would strongly prefer something with a 4.3BSD Unix-like operating
:system.  It must have a good optimizing fortran compiler.
:
:To make things even more definite, suppose the total system cost must
:be in the range of $500,000 to $1,000,000.  The hardware should not be
:at the top of its migration path -- we should be able to add
:processors, memory, disk, etc. to make it bigger and better in the
:future.

Now the added questions.  What about Multiflow?  Any experience with
them?  And how about the hypercube designs?  How do they compare with
the more straightforward multiprocessor machines?

:
:Ok folks, what is today's best buy?
:
--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan at ccnysci                        City College of New York