bug in pclose(3)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Thu Jan 5 18:07:18 AEST 1989

 >The IEEE Standard 1003.1 (POSIX) requires conforming implementations to have
 >a new function called waitpid() that does effectively what the previous
 >respondant described as 4.4BSD's waitfor() or wait4() function.  I hope BSD
 >changes the name before it's too late.

Since "waitfor()"/"wait4()" does things that "waitpid()" doesn't
(namely, optionally fill in a "struct rusage"), I see no reason why the
people at Berkeley would want to rename "wait{4|for}" to "waitpid".
They may want to provide "waitpid" as a procedure that calls
"wait{4|for}", but that's a different matter.