GNU-tar vs dump(1)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Tue Jan 17 14:47:21 AEST 1989

In article <8768 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
>... if one renames a directory none of the
>attributes of the files in this directory change. So the files are not
>backed up and unless one knows the previous name of the directory one
>cannot find the files in the backup again...

This is why sensible backup programs know you must back up the contents
of directories, not just files.  This isn't a miracle cure, but it helps.
--
"God willing, we will return." |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
-Eugene Cernan, the Moon, 1972 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu