simple question about mv

Paul Lew lew at gsg.UUCP
Sun Jan 29 13:16:48 AEST 1989

In article <18217 at adm.BRL.MIL> DEG41560 at ua1vm.ua.edu (Rob Smith) writes:

>						   What if I want to mv a bunch
>of files with the same suffix to another suffix. The following does not
>work
>
>    mv *.flip *.flop
>
>what does?  I'm under Ultrix 2.2.  I'm doing it by hand, but I'd like to
>be able to do wild card renames, ala DOS.

I assume you are using Csh, add the following in your .cshrc:

	alias	ren	'set noglob; rename \!*; unset noglob'

You can then issue command like:

	$ ren *.flip *.flop

Rename is a shell script for the exercise of the readers.  I can mail it
to those who dont want to reinvent the wheel.  If enough interest, I will
post it to comp.sources.misc.
--
Paul Lew			{oliveb,harvard,decvax}!gsg!lew	(UUCP)
General Systems Group, 5 Manor Parkway, Salem, NH 03079	(603) 893-1000