Password security - Another idea

Robin Pickering rob at inmos.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 03:31:24 AEST 1989

In article <232 at ibd.BRL.MIL> heilpern at brl.arpa (Mark A. Heilpern (IBD) <heilpern>) writes:
>Here's an interesting idea:
>
>Let's assume a users password is:  physics
>This would most likely be solved in a routine dictionary search.
>
>Suppose, among the standard dot files in the home directory, there was to be
>a new one: .case . The login program is to check this file,

Why stop with case, why not specify a more general per-user password pre-
munging mechanism.  This seems quite an effective way to increase the
password search space to any party without access to the private munging
factor used.

 Rob Pickering

(JANET only: ROB at UK.CO.INMOS)       | Software Group, Inmos Bristol.
ARPA/UUCP:      rob at inmos.co.uk (...uunet!mcvax!ukc!inmos!rob)
(... any opinions expressed are my own.)