csh problem involving nested ifs?

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.UUCP|
Sat Jul 15 12:17:45 AEST 1989

In article <7293 at cbmvax.UUCP| grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
|In article <4948 at ficc.uu.net| peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
|| Basically, it is undesirable to use the 'C' shell for any complicated
|| scripts... or any scripts at all other than .cshrc and .login.

sigh.  i used to disbelieve this.  i've learned the hard way.  it's
more true that not true.

|This is a fairly widely held viewpoint, but when you get down to it,
|neither the bourne shell, nor c-shell provide very elegant programming
|languages.  C-shell does allow "prettier code", but the inconsistancies [sic]
|will nip you from time to time.  Bourne shell scripts do have the
|major advantage of being transportable back into the USG world, which
|may or may not matter for the task at hand.

This is also so.   That's why where I used to write shell scripts with
reams of embedded awk and sed calls, I now use perl, another wonderful
piece of Larry Wall-ware.  It's a real programming language, optimized
for sysadmin tasks.  If you haven't looked at it, consider doing so.
And it runs on a googol of architectures, thanks to a lot of work
towards this goal and his metaconfig program.  Try it, you'll like it.

--tom