What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

dsill at relay.nswc.navy.mil dsill at relay.nswc.navy.mil
Fri Jul 7 03:42:31 AEST 1989

>Becuase not all users of a future GNU OS will live in ths US, or use English
>as their first language. Stop being so parochial.

Pardon me, but I don't remember saying I thought GNU should *not* be
international.

>Since we have a chance to remove some of the stupid retrictions in the
>existing stuff, let's do so. 8bit characters everywhere. Locale-specific
>messages. Why not? Properly done it shold have little impact on what the US
>version will be like, so you shouldn't mind.

Eight-bit characters?!  Stop being so parochial.  What about
Korea/China/Japan/etc.?  If we're going to fix it, let's fix it so it
stays fixed.  32-bits ought to do it.

I really don't know what to think about internationalization.  I don't
think we can ignore it, but I don't think we can lick it yet, either.
Eight bit characters sure ain't gonna do it.

-Dave Sill (dsill at relay.nswc.navy.mil)