Referencing NULL pointers

T.S. Hadley hadley at ics.uci.edu
Mon Jul 10 15:38:42 AEST 1989

   Greetings.

   By NULL pointer referencing I mean: consider the C frags:

      ..
      char	*s = (char *) 0, t[10];
      strcpy(t, s);
      /* or */
      TYPE	*t = (TYPE *) 0;	/* typedef struct { ... } TYPE; */
      if(t->field == 0)

   On my machine (sun) these statements causes segmentation violations
   during runtime.

   Apparantly, on other machines this is perfectly valid, since I see
   quite a lot of this in code created on certain non-sun machines.

   What can I do about it? Is there a flag on some C compiler to handle
   these situations? (gcc -fallow-null-pointer-referencing-idiocy :-)

   Apologies if this subject is a dead horse.

   Grateful Thanks.
--
Tedd Hadley (hadley at ics.uci.edu)