nmake and multiple architectures?

rich rich at cfi.COM
Sat Jul 29 05:32:04 AEST 1989

We need help with nmake, the fourth-generation version of make from the ATT
toolchest.  We have used this program with great success for the past several
years, but our makefiles were pretty simple.  We now have multiple
architectures (Sun3, 386i, PC/DOS) and would like to write portable makefiles.
The documentation seems woefully bereft of examples that would show us how to
set up multiple directories for architecture-specific object files and to
control the compiler/linker flags based on command line options (DEBUG,
PROFILE, etc.).  Can anyone send me a simple example or two on how to do this?
I would like to be able to use the same makefile (*no editing*), calling
it with something like:

	nmake foo	[make according to `arch`, keeping track of last
			make for this architecture separate from others]
	nmake -DDEBUG foo	[make debugging version (-g instead of -O)]
	nmake -DPROFILE foo	[make profiling version]

I know this should be possible, I'd just rather not spend an afternoon trying
to figure it out.

Rich Baughman		  rich at cfi.com OR ima!cfisun!rich
Price Waterhouse/CFI      Waltham, MA  617-899-6500