Laserjet & Xenix

William Davidsen davidsen at sungod.crd.ge.com
Sat Jul 29 05:34:41 AEST 1989

In article <549 at tah386.manhattan.ks.us> terry at tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) writes:

| Check the interface script.  My guess is he is either sending a
| form feed to the printer, or he is doing a printer reset with
| an ESC E.  Sending an Escape E to the printer will not only reset
| it, but will also cause the printer to form feed a blank page.

  You have half of that right... the error is almost certainly caused by
emiting a formfeed *instead* of a reset. The reset (ESC-E) will force
the current page to be printed if there is anything to print. Several
reset's in a row will *not* output multiple pages.

  I just tried this on a LJ, LJ+, and LJ-II. I don't have access to a
500, but I would bet anything up to the price of a sixpack the code is
the same.

I have a correct LJ "interface" routine which does a number of things,
including sending an init file to the printer for things like landscape
mode, 1/2" left margin, 16 pitch/100 line mode, etc. I use a reset at
the end and never get any blank pages between files.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen