Peculiar uucp problem (long summery of responses)

Harry Gross hjg at amms4.UUCP
Sat Jul 29 01:45:09 AEST 1989

Recently, I posted two calls for help regarding a problem with uucp.  Uucico
would start up, initiate a file transfer and then appear to clobber itself.
Also, upon installing a 2400 baud modem, suddenly uucico was unable to open the
tty port to access the modem, unless it was started as root.

I received several helpful replies summerized below:

+------------

+------------

+------------

+------------

+------------

+------------

+------------

+------------

+------------

+------------

+------------
|I struck gold, however with this note:
|
|rutgers!dsinc.dsi.com!syd (Syd Weinstein)
|
|>Maybe I can help you,  I did a lot of the uucp stuff for Plexus
|>as well as a lot of other comm stuff and controller stuff for them.
|>I want you to try cu to that line, there used to be a bug with the
|>status tables.  Give me a call voice some day.
|
|After a lengthy telephone conversation with Syd (thanks again for your time!),
|I discovered a couple of crucial things:
|
|	1. There is a bug in S5 R2 V1.5 uucico which sometimes fails to
|reset status bits on the I/O port, thus causing the line to drop as soon
|as a connection is made.  uucico tries to regain the line, and fails.  The
|logfiles LOOK like uucico is clobbering itself, but it really had already
|failed.  The fix for this is to run cu on the line just prior to calling
|out with uucico (or get a patch from Motorola - who has taken over support
|of the Plexus hardware).  First problem solved.
|
|	2. There is an un-related flaw in S5 R2 V1.5 uucico pertaining to
|baud rates.  It seems that the good folks at AT&T created a baud rate table
|inside of uucico that understands baud rates of 110, 300, 1200 and 9600 baud.
|9600 was provided for hard-wire connections, and the others were provided for
|modems.  Since AT&T didn't have a 2400 baud modem at the time, they didn't
|put 2400 baud support into uucico.  When I invoke uucico, the table is
|consulted, 2400 baud support is not found, and uucico terminates.  When uucico
|is invoked by root, however, this table is not consulted, and uucico will work.
|Second problem solved.

I want to thank everyone who responded.  Tracking this down was no fun, but
your assistance made it bearable.  And at least I was able to create work
arounds (since I don't have source to make _real_ fixes :-)

Cheers,
--
		Harry Gross				 |  reserved for
							 |  something really
Internet: hjg at amms4.UUCP   (we're working on registering)|  clever - any
UUCP: {jyacc, rna, bklyncis}!amms4!hjg			 |  suggestions?