Neat csh feature

CCEL ccel at community-chest.uucp
Sun Jul 30 02:58:37 AEST 1989

One of the gurus showed me a neat csh thing that I thought i'd share
with the wizards out there if you haven't seen it already ....
If you set the environment variable filec (as in set filec), that
allows csh to do file completion, kind of like emacs does. If you're
typing in a file name, just type enough characters to make it unique
then hit <ESC> and the shell will finish it for you. For example,
say your directory looks like:
a	b	c	d	e	very_long_file_name
then just type
cat v<ESC>
and the shell will finish the file name for you, like:
cat very_long_file_name.

This works on our Suns, haven't tried it on any other systems yet.

Randy Tidd                   MITRE-McLean CCEL Lab
rtidd at mitre.arpa             ccel%community-chest at gateway.mitre.org