SLIP compression...

Jacob Parnas jparnas at larouch.UUCP
Mon Jul 3 16:15:52 AEST 1989

I recently got SLIP going (4.3BSD), and while pleased with its function,
I still long for better performance even with V.32 modems.  The obvious
thing to do is add compression.  I knnow there should be a version of SLIP
with header compression coming soon, but I am wondering if anybody has
thought about compressing the contents of the packets as well as the headers.

Has anyone out there implemented or thought about implemeting this?  If
you have, I'd appreciate it if you would drop me a note.

Also, does anybody know if a modem doing MNP level 9 compression in hardware
would help?  (such as the Microcom QX/V.32c)

Also, if one were  add compression to SLIP, where should it be added?
Would it be best to add it to if_sl.c?

Thanks for any thoughts.

| Jacob M. Parnas                    | DISCLAIMER: The above message is from |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | me and is not from my employer.  IBM  |
| Arpanet: jparnas at ibm.com           | might completely disagree with me.    |
| Bitnet: jparnas at yktvmx.bitnet      \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!jparnas | Phone: (914) 945-1635     |