Peculiar uucp problem

Harry Gross hjg at amms4.UUCP
Wed Jul 12 01:19:27 AEST 1989

Hello all,

	Ok, I have one for the books.  I am running vanilla UNIX S5 R2 1.5 on
a Plexus P/60.  It has been working just fine.  Recently, I switched modems from
a 1200 baud Hayes to a 2400 baud Cardinal (Hayes Smartmodem compatible), and
made the appropriate modification to the L-devices file.  The new modem works
just fine.  However, from the moment I made the change, the following _strange_
behavior has been observed:

	1) If uucico is started by root, it works ok

	2) If uucico is started by anyone else (including the mailer and news),
	   it is unable to open the device and the attempted communication fails

	3) uucico is owned by the uucp account, and has permissions of 4111
	   (i.e. execute for all and setuserid)

	4) The device in question does NOT have a getty running on it, is
	   owned by uucp and has permissions 666 (r/w for all)

	5) Now for the real killer - we have 4 machines tied together via uucp
	   (I know - this isn't the best way to do things, but it's what I have
	   to work with), and this problem DOES NOT occur when you try to uucp
	   to one of the other machines, only on the dialout line.

	Note that this behavior is also observed if you try to start up uucico
via the uusub command.  Note further that the uucp portion of any transaction
appears to work just fine, as all of the appropriate files get created in the
spool directory.

	I have been beating my head against this for several days (2 weeks,
actually), and had hoped that I could figure things out for myself.  At this
point, however, I have no further ideas as to where to look, so I am putting
out this call for help.

	Any suggestions, ideas, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated (by e-mail,
please, and I will post the solution if anyone is interested [and assuming one
is found :-) ] ).  Please note: I do NOT have a source license :-(, so any ideas
involving hacking (or reading) the source do me no good :-).

	 Right now, I have to keep kick-starting things as root to get out-going
mail (and news :-) to work properly, and I am getting _REAL TIRED_ :-) of doing
what the machine should be doing!  HELP!?!?!?!

		Thanks for any and all help,

--
		Harry Gross				 |  reserved for
							 |  something really
Internet: hjg at amms4.UUCP   (we're working on registering)|  clever - any
UUCP: {jyacc, rna, bklyncis}!amms4!hjg			 |  suggestions?