Strange file system error

CCEL ccel at community-chest.uucp
Sat Jul 15 11:40:51 AEST 1989

I have a strange problem with my unix machine, was wondering if anyone
could help me out.  I have A/UX for my Mac II (don't laugh, please...)
and I discovered one day that I had a directory on my disk that had no
. or .. files in it.  An ls -al shows that the directory is indeed empty
(as in total 0), while an ls in it's parent directory shows that it is
a directory.

If I do an rm it says it's a directory, rm -r says rm: Directory not
empty. I can't mv it to another filename, mv tells me that it has a
bad inode. I tried clri to clear the i-node, then next time I ran
fsck, fsck kindly restored the i-node for me.  fsck also gives me an
error each time I run it on the entire file system (it tells me that
the directory has no . or ..), but doesn't do anything about it.

It's not really very damaging to the file system, it only takes up 48
bytes (for what, I can't imagine), but it gives an error every now
and then and annoys me a great deal. If anyone has some clever ideas,
I'd like to hear them, just send them by mail so everyone else doesn't
have to be annoyed by them.

Thanks ...

Randy Tidd
rtidd at mitre.arpa