What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Clifford C. Skolnick ccs at lazlo.UUCP
Fri Jul 7 13:30:04 AEST 1989

In article <214 at tnl.UUCP> norstar at tnl.UUCP (Daniel Ray) writes:
|In article <8906272337.AA24210 at cscwam.UMD.EDU>, stripes at wam.UMD.EDU writes:
|> I would like to see a few extra protection bits in the new Kernal.  A bit
|> for append-only (the kernal fseeks to the end of the file before each write).
|
|  1. A new (or new use of a) directory permission bit, such as using SUID/SGID
|or something new, would designate the dir as "append only except edit in
|single user mode". This would apply to root as well. So, audit trails and
|logfiles could not be modified except when the machine was brought down to
|single user mode at the local console. Files in the dir could be appended
|to, however, if the mode on the file permitted writes. Existing data could
|not be modified by anyone in multiuser mode.

If I was the superuser, I could just wipe out the raw disk devices.  The
only way this will work is to use an on-line printer.  The whole concept
of a super-user is the problem.  I wish I had a better solution to offer,
but...

			Cliff
--
 "I'd rather stay here with all the madmen, than perish with the sad man
 roaming free" -- David Bowie