11/750 Ultrix install with only 6200 media kit

Paul Traina pst at anise.acc.com
Fri Jul 21 08:59:30 AEST 1989

I'm in a pretty bizzare situation.  We've just purchased ultrix for our
6310, and I have a bunch of TK50's sitting in front of me.  Unfortunately,
our evil MIS department still owns the 6310 and they're VMS people (ick!).

I've got a spare 750 in one of my labs.  I'd like to drop Ultrix 3.0 on it,
but it seems to have mutated away from 4.2bsd enough that I've got problems.

Here are the tools that I have:
	(a) A Microvax running Ultrix with a TK50 tape drive on it.
	(b) An 11/750 with gobs of old disk drives including an rm03 farm
	    and an RA60.
	(c) The 750 can run either VMS or 4.3bsd at the flip of a switch.
	(d) Both 4.2bsd and VMS 4.5 console TU58s for the 750.

What I tried:
  I dd'ed the miniroot on the TK50 off into a file.  I then rcp'ed that file
  over the net and dd'ed it onto the b partition of a RA60 using a block
  size of 20b and conv=sync.

I now should have a legitimate mini-root on the RA60's swap partition,  however
I can't seem to make it boot.  I also have a copy of the initial boot loader
that appears at the beginning of the Ultrix standalone tape.  Now the
magic question is,  where do I need to get that boot loader (I assume onto
a TU58) and what does *it* need in registers et al for startup.

If anyone has Ultrix 3.0 running on an 11/750 and has the software installation
guide,  I'd love to hear from them.  If anyone knows what mutations took place
in the Ultrix 3.0 loader (i.e. as far as I can tell, it doesn't look very
much like a VMS style VMB.EXE file and it dosen't look like a Unix 750boot
file),  that would probably help too.

Sigh,  life gets bizzare sometimes.  Next step is to order a bloody media kit
for the 750,  but:
	(a) that takes all the fun out of things
	(b) it will probably get here after I get my new 6310 play-toy.

inadvanceThanks,
	.p.
--
    "Calling people sexist because they are into S/M is like calling
     people capitalist because they like to play Monopoly(TM)."