nobody UNIX userid

kai at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu kai at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
Sat Jun 10 02:10:00 AEST 1989

> /* Written by tomc at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov */
> Can someone out there explain the function of the nobody account?
>                                          - Tom

The root uid (0) is translated to (-2) when accessing files located on NFS
mounted file systems.  This feature can be turned off on individual hosts, but
it is the default on all the NFS implementations I've seen.  Having the
"nobody" account defined with a uid of -2, means that when you do an "ls", you
will see the owner name "nobody" instead of the uid number "-2".  If there's
another reason for having the "nobody" account, I've yet to run into it.

Patrick Wolfe  (pat at kai.com,  kailand!pat)
System Manager, Kuck & Associates, Inc.