What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Douglas B. Jones douglas at dekalb.UUCP
Wed Jun 14 02:07:53 AEST 1989

In article <16463 at bellcore.bellcore.com> sjs at ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) writes:
>In article <8380 at june.cs.washington.edu> ka at june.cs.washington.edu (Kenneth Almquist) writes:
>> James Buster asks what kinds of things should be in th GNU kernel:
>>
>> > Networking:	NFS? RFS? Something better?
[deleted]
>>     3) If a file cannot be accessed because the system it is on is
>> 	down or unreachable, the user should be notified quickly.
[deleted]
>We have got to figure out how to stop constantly emulating terminals.
>Maybe a "visual shell" is in order.  What are the implications on
>external program interfaces?  Will argv[] and the fd vector be a
>sufficient mechanism, or will something entirely different be
>necessary (for instance service port capabilities)?  Let's plug
>programs (modules) together like tinker-toys (down with syntax, I want
>to program using pictures and gestures!).
>Stan Switzer  sjs at ctt.bellcore.com

Some of use don't have access to workstation, but are useing dumb terminals.
So, if your last statement of "useing pictures and gestures" is a reference
to the graphical abilaties of workstations, some of use would be left out
in the cold.

[the below are filler lines for the postnews message about more old
 text than new text]

--
Doulas B. Jones					douglas at dekalb
Academic Computer Center		or	gatech!dekalb!douglas