What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov
Thu Jun 8 03:05:55 AEST 1989

? From: Snoopy <snoopy at sopwith.uucp>

? In article <19808 at adm.BRL.MIL> rbj at dsys.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:

? |One thing I'd like to see is an rwx triplet that applied to root as
? |well.  That is, if I `chmod r-w' on a given (source) directory, root
? |couldn't add or delete files in it until he `chmod r+w'ed it.

? This fundamentally changes the concept of root.  This would break many things.
? It sounds like you are looking for a way to make a directory read-only without
? setting up a partition to be mounted read-only.  Is this correct, or did you
? have something else in mind?

That's *exactly* what I had in mind. The default umask would leave these
bits alone, so they wouldn't get reset unless you wanted them to.

Read what I said. I want to temporarily prohibit root from modifying
parts of a RW fs. Yes, I could use a RO fs, but that's not always
convenient. Note that VMS (as did RSX) has a set of privilege bits
that apply to system accounts. They must be set (and the system or
owner can always do this) to gain access.

?   /_______\   qiclab!sopwith!snoopy			|  	  |
?     |___|     parsely!sopwith!snoopy			| tekecs  |
?     |___|     sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy		|_________|

? 		"I *am* the next man!"  -Indy

I like the Austrian way better.

	Root Boy Jim is what I am