GNU wish list

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Jun 4 08:40:30 AEST 1989

>While I am on the subject of errno, why not have a perrorf(3C)?  It is
>like printf(3C) exactly except that it prints "cmdname:" as the first
>characters of the line and it has a format character for the error
>message.

Why not just implement "strerror", as per the proposed ANSI C standard,
which takes an error number as argument and returns a pointer to an
appropriate message for that error, and construct the message yourself?
This has the advantage that if you *don't* want to just blat the error
out to the standard error, you don't have to do so....