/tmp

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Sat Jun 10 06:16:32 AEST 1989

In article <10390 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <5712 at lynx.UUCP> m5 at lynx.UUCP (Mike McNally) writes:
>>What bad bad things happen if I symbolically link /tmp to /usr/tmp?

>As you suggested later, the main thing to worry about is that /tmp
>is probably required before the /usr filesystem is mounted.

That is easy to deal with as long as no file in /tmp needs to survive
the mounting of /usr.  Just create a /usr/tmp under the /usr mount
point directory, ie, mkdir /usr/tmp while /usr is not mounted.  Then
the symbolic link will have somewhere to point during the early boot
phase and single user mode.  Actually most people I know who do this
use /usr/realtmp or something like that rather than /usr/tmp.  I can't
think of anything that will collide off the top of my head by why
risk it.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 890952  Houston, Texas  77289