File Sys Hierarchies

Duane Hesser dhh at nwnexus.WA.COM
Fri Jun 16 13:25:05 AEST 1989

> ..... I agree it would be nice if someone came up
> with some basic directory hierarchy which all vendors would please
> use.

Barry
	Perhaps you missed the posting by the Berkeley folk about a year
or a year and a half ago, in which they just such a "standard"
hierarchy.  The organization was based upon several aims, not the
least of which was placement of all "static" system files in
read-only directories.  Vendor-specific files have their own
fileystem mount point, and things were generally set up to
accomodate networked filesystems.  You may want to check back in
the nearest archives to see if you can find the posting.

If lI'm not mistaken, Sun has adopted this organization in 4.0,
and perhaps others will (or have) as well.

As for the original posters notion about "/root", I will point out
that the root directory is a directory like any other, that it has
a name ("/"), and that it serves not only to provide mount points,
but normally contains some rather important FILES as well (e.g.
/vmunix [or, if you happen to have a pdp11, /unix], /boot, and
let's not forget /.profile).  This is not to mention ordinary,
not-mounted DIRECTORIES like /etc, /bin, /lib.  Perhaps I missed
his point?

------
Duane H. Hesser
Future Systems