What kind of things would you wnat in the GNU OS

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov
Thu Jun 8 03:40:47 AEST 1989

? From: Roy Smith <roy at phri.uucp>

? In article <19851 at adm.BRL.MIL> cherry.STCWR at xerox.com writes:
? > I'd say put [VM & symlinks] in.  Let the user determine whether to use
? > them or not.  The fact that they are there doesn't hurt an OS.

? 	It is thinking like this that led us from the 40k kernels I used to
? run back in the v6 days to the 500+k kernels we see today.

Perhaps a bit of arithmetic is in order. A V6 machine had 256k or perhaps
512k of core. Call it a ratio of 1:10. Todays machines have typically
4 or 8M. Again, call it 1:10. It takes more to do more.

? Roy Smith, Public Health Research Institute
? 455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
? {allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu
? "The connector is the network"

	Root Boy Jim is what I am