What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Andrew Hume andrew at alice.UUCP
Fri Jun 2 20:38:31 AEST 1989

	I did not mean to imply that barnett is lazy;
nor that any attempt to use part of the filename for
semantic reasons is stupid (.c and .h is useful!).

	my point is that if you have structured names like
the "lazy part" is putting that in the filename and using the
shell's pattern matching to select files. The alternative
(there are obviously bunches) is to put this database in a file
that looks like
and use awk (or cut) to select on arbitrary fields. e.g.
	more `awk '$2=="mymachine"{print $1}'`

this is only slighlty more work, much more flexible AND
doesn't require the kernel to support gargantuan filenames.