What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Steve Lamont spl at mcnc.org
Thu Jun 1 11:27:05 AEST 1989

In article <13688 at ncoast.ORG> allbery at ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
<As quoted from <422 at ladcgw.ladc.bull.com> by frank at ladc.bull.com (Frank Mayhar):
<+---------------
<| }Virtual Memory:	Should GNU run on non-VM machines? Algorithm ideas?
<| }		How general (map *everything* into VM space, like Multics)?
<| }		Shared libraries?
<|
<| I like the SunOS virtual memory concept (minus the current crop of bugs, of
<| course).  If you're writing a Real Operating System, why worry about machines
<| that won't support virtual memory.  Hell, by the time Gnu is ready, non-VM
<| machines will probably be a thing of the past anyway.  Shared libraries
<+---------------

Like the Cray Y-MP or Cray 3?  IMHO, if you wish to be a player in the
supercomputing game, you'll have to consider systems which don't support
virtual memory.  How about enormously parallel machines with a large
number of processors but a small amount of physical memory per
processor?  I suspect that non-virtual memory machines will be around
for much longer than any of us care to think about.

--
							spl
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy			EMail:	spl at ncsc.org
North Carolina Supercomputing Center	Phone: (919) 248-1120
Box 12732/RTP, NC 27709