/../... (Re: What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Sat Jun 10 12:10:28 AEST 1989

In article <3028 at rti.UUCP>, mcm at rti.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
> What happens if you unlink the '..' entry in the '/' directory
> and mkdir a directory called '..'?  I'll tell you what happens.  You get a
> directory called '..' accessible from '/'.  You can now chdir to '/..' and
> get to a new directory.  Put anything you want in that directory.  Put
> symbolic links pointing to NFS systems there. Put mount points for NFS there.

I love it. It's beautiful. It's clean. It's even damnit consistent. It has a
few problems, but they're minor.

> Of course, if you want to extend a local group of systems into a larger
> collection of systems, just add another '..' directory to the '/..' directory.

This is less friendly. pwd or getcwd() or whatever are gonna get
discombobulated. Too many special cases... make it like area codes, maybe:

	/../nearsystem
	/../virginia/farsystem

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.