Unix Version 7 Booting

George B. Miler miler at cscosl.ncsu.edu
Wed Jun 28 05:39:08 AEST 1989

I am currently working on an independent research project consisting
of placing a copy of Unix Version 7 on a MC68000 based computer at
North Carolina State University (our license does cover this machine).
I have a kernal which is bootable from device rx (an 8" floppy drive)
and am having trouble getting everything operational.  This kernal is
on a PDP 11/23 and I beleive was written for a PDP 11/45.  The boot
loader comes up properly; the kernal displays the amount of available
memory properly; but nothing else happens.  I get no shell prompt, nor
am I even sure the kernal even gets to a point where it attempts to
load the shell.  Does anyone know what the problem may be, and if the
kernal for a PDP 11/45 will execute properly on a PDP 11/23?

George B. Miler
NCSU, Raleigh, N.C.
Internet:  miler at cscosl.ncsu.edu