V68 - what does disjointio do?

John Gonnerman jcg at tree.UUCP
Wed Jun 14 04:34:26 AEST 1989

In article <MRD.89Jun12135314 at sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, mrd at sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) writes:
> I hope someone can help me with a problem I have been having.  I am
> modifying a tape driver for V68 (Motorola's SysV.3 for 680x0's).
[discussion of unclear docs...]

I, too, have a device-driver problem on a Motorola system running SysV/68.
I have a Xylogics XY772 tape drive controller which runs a Cipher-compatible
tape drive for a Motorola 8400E.  The device driver provided by the vendor
was written for Release 2 Unix, which does not have virtual memory.

After the VAR's programmers were done with it, it worked...sort of.  The
system has problems with the drive...if you try to do a tape operation
while the tape is being processed already, the first program becomes locked
in the device driver.  The process won't die, not even for kill -9, and
in turn causes problems when you shut down, since the process is tying up
a file system.  The tape drive becomes totally inaccessible at this point,
thus necessitating a reboot and fsck.

The problems, it appears, don't come from the VAR's work, though...Xylogics
sent us a copy of the "new" device driver, complete with a new ROM.  The
device driver code is nearly identical to the version our VAR came up with.

We would like to trust Xylogics, and run the new driver and ROM, but we spent
so much time down installing the first driver that we are a bit leary of doing
that again.  Does anyone have experience with this card and device driver?
Any help would be appreciated.

--
              __    |            -- John C. Gonnerman --
          \__/ __   |  ..!ucbvax!pasteur!ames!pacbell!sactoh0!tree!jcg