Filename length statistics

Bennett Todd bet at orion.mc.duke.edu
Thu Jun 15 07:38:57 AEST 1989

I said I would post statistics over all our home directories, and over
the whole system, when the runs finished. Well, they finished much
quicker than I had feared, and I looked them over. Basically, they
agreed much more closely with Peter da Silva's figures than with those
over my home directory. I guess I'm an anomaly:-). I still think
fixed-length filenames belong in the same category as fixed-length line
buffers in editors and suchlike; a reasonable design compromise for a
first revision, to prove the concept and keep the prototype
implementation simple, but not a desirable limitation in a final
production version. And, like with line length limits in editors, I
believe that a GOOD implementation won't inflict either undue code bulk
or undue speed degradation, as the price of going to a dynamically
allocated varying length implementation.

-Bennett
bet at orion.mc.duke.edu