Optimal for loop on the 68020.

Jef Poskanzer pokey at well.UUCP
Fri Jun 9 07:45:08 AEST 1989

In the referenced message, rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov (Root Boy Jim) wrote:
}Hey, aren't most programs *I/O bound* anyway? And you can sometimes
}unroll your loops.

Any statement about "most programs" is guaranteed false.  In my case,
I have a large suite of programs called PBM.  Most of them (note
difference) are I/O bound (but less so now that I've improved the
external data format).  Some are CPU bound.  I estimate that these
would go about 1% faster if they used a dbra in their inner loop.

}I seem to remember Chris Torek stating something about using
}		printf("n = %d\n");

Somehow I doubt Chris would make such a stupid mistake.

What is your point, anyway?  I didn't see it in your article.
---
Jef

    Jef Poskanzer  pokey at well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!pokey
                    "Sound impressive? It should. It is."