mounting NFS filesystems directly under the root

Karl Kleinpaste karl at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu
Fri Jun 9 22:03:37 AEST 1989

wietse at wzv.uucp writes:
   In the recent past, several postings mentioned that
   >... it is not a good idea to [NFS] mount fs's directly under root
   but do not explain why that is a bad thing to do. Inquiring minds
   want to know...

The problem is due to getwd(), or whatever routine is equivalent on
your system, when a server is down.  If you have NFS filesystems
mounted directly under /, then getwd() will get stuck on the entries
for down servers, timing out at best or hanging indefinitely at worst.
The former is if you use soft mounts; the latter is the kiss of death
if you use hard mounts.

Our scheme here (borrowed in some ways from RFS concepts) is to mount
NFS filesystems under /n/servername/something, so that, e.g., if I am
in /n/dinosaur/0 when server `Flower' goes down, getwd() calls (such
as when a new csh starts up) will not get hung as getwd() traverses
directories upward, looking for the name of the directory where I am.

--Karl