Cray I/O (was: Re: What kinds of things)

Michael J. Tighe mjt at super.ORG
Mon Jun 5 00:56:14 AEST 1989

In article <9989 at nuchat.UUCP> steve at nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) writes:
> But mounting an NFS partition from the cray and firing up a
> conventional  editor on the file will result in its contents being
> copied across the wire in both directions, which we were trying to
> avoid.

But the "work" is being done by the IOP's and that is what they are
there for. The Cray CPU's are not doing the work, which is what you
want. However, if you use an editor on the Cray, the CPU's are doing
the work. I guess the problem (for you) is one of trading CPU
performance vs network performance. I think if you look at the cost of
your CPU's vs the cost of your network, you will see that you should
be saving your CPU's...
--
Michael Tighe
internet: mjt at super.org