What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Sat Jun 3 01:57:40 AEST 1989

From: gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn)
>I think there are three classes of enhancement "wish list" items
>that people have been suggesting:
>
>	- blue-sky research projects
>	- significant known developments that would be a shame to
>	  pass up, if one is going to build an OS from scratch anyway
>	- minor glitches in historical UNIX that could easily be fixed

I would add a fourth category:

	- "some feature from ``my'' favorite operating system for no
	  obvious reason other than ``I'' am accustomed to it".

like case insensitive file options or various privilege schemes that
never worked very well in the (ahem) other OS anyhow.

My advice to these suggestions are to punt them into the trashcan*
where they belong.

* Throwing things in a trashcan may be a concept protected by Apple,
Inc. Any similarity to real trashcans, living or dead, is purely
coincidental.
--
	-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade
1330 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202