Unexpected NFS Effects

Michael Paddon mwp at munnari
Wed Jun 21 12:19:46 AEST 1989

>From article <1703 at softway.oz>, by chris at softway.oz (Chris Maltby):
>
> So that's how it is, I'm sure. The question now is "Why?". I can't think
> of any reason why you couldn't pass a "read for execution" request distinct
> from a "read as data" request. I guess someone crocked the design... (:-)

How would this increase security? All I can see is more complexity in
the protocol for absolutely no return.

All root has to do is construct a request that says "read this
file for execution". Sure, it's a little harder, but we all know how
useful security via obscurity is (even if you don't have NFS source).

The other point to remember is that NFS is a general protocol (not Unix
specific). It just requires that there is a trusted context which does
stuff like executing files. In Unix, that context is the kernel; for
historical reasons the kernel and root are trusted equally from the
security viewpoint.

The way to provide security is to ensure that the root account *and* the
kernel can be trusted. A third party authentication scheme fits the bill
nicely.

|                  | email: mwp at munnari.oz.au               |
|                  | voice: (03) 344 4246                   |
|  Michael Paddon  | snail: Department of Computer Science, |
|                  |        The University of Melbourne,    |
|                  |        Parkville 3052, Australia       |