GNU os suggestions -- system data interfaces

Usenet file owner usenet at cps3xx.UUCP
Mon Jun 5 05:19:07 AEST 1989

In article <1344 at marvin.Solbourne.COM> dce at Solbourne.com (David Elliott) writes:
>I've done extensive work in the areas of system administration interfaces
>and automation, and in the area of porting Unix commands.
>
>Two items that I find particularly annoying are getting kernel data
>values and handling system files.

I agree.  A better approach is the $GETSYI/$GETJPI calls found in VMS.
They are complicated, and there may be better ways to organize the
information they return, but:

  (1) They provide a fairly consistent interface for retrieving information.
  (2) They isolate my programs from system data structure changes.
  (3) They provide a point to implement security mechanisms.

			Anton

(Warning: I'm biased, check my .sig)